Disabled Veterans Exemption

You may qualify for a property tax exemption if you are either a totally disabled veteran or the surviving spouse of a totally disabled veteran.

This exemption from property tax is available for 100% disabled veterans. The exemption would apply to certain injured veterans and their surviving spouses. The exemption would be for the full fair cash value of the homestead. To qualify for the exemption an injured veteran would have to meet several requirements.

· First, the veteran must have been honorably discharged from a branch of the Armed Forces or the Oklahoma National Guard.

· Second, the veteran would have to be a State resident.

· Third, the veteran would have to have a 100% permanent disability.

· Fourth, the disability would have to have been sustained through military action or accident, or resulting from a disease contracted while in active service.

· Fifth, the disability would have to be certified by U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

· Finally, the veteran would have to be qualified for homestead exemption.

Qualifying Letter

The Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs (ODVA) has sent a letter to every veteran qualified for this property tax break. The applicant must provide to the county assessor an original U.S.D.V.A. benefits award letter issued for qualification specific to this exemption that certifies the 100% service related disability, or the applicant is in receipt of compensation at the 100% rate.

If a 100% disabled veteran does not have the award letter, they can contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs toll free number of (800) 827-1000. If you need to contact the ODVA in Muskogee call (918) 577-7745.

Once you receive a homestead exemption or a disabled veteran's exemption, you do not have to reapply unless your status changes. If you move to a new home, you will have to submit a new homestead and DAV application. 

100% Veterans Property Tax Exemption Frequently Asked Questions 

  • Question: If I apply for my veteran’s exemption this year and my certified award letter from the U.S.D.V.A. provides 100% benefits for previous year(s) can the exemption be granted for those prior years?  What about a refund of previous year’s taxes? 

Answer: No, Article 10 § 22A Oklahoma Constitution, prohibits the granting of exemption for previous years.  No provision for refunds. 

  • Question: What is a 100% Disabled Veterans Exemption Transfer or Acquired Homestead Property? 

Answer:  In November 2014 State Question 770 was adopted adding an amendment to Article 10, § 8E Oklahoma Constitution which provides for transferring the veteran property tax exemption to another qualifying homestead property within the same calendar year. The Applicants real property must be a valid homestead property, with evidence of a homestead exemption, or eligible for homestead exemption.  The exemption will begin the month the deed instrument is filed of public record for the newly acquired property. 

  • Question: What are the general qualifications for the 100% Disabled Veteran Transfer?  

Answer: The qualifications are the same as the 100% DAV Exemption.  You must be a resident of the state of Oklahoma and have homestead exemption or are eligible for homestead exemption.  You must file an application 998-B and submit your certified award letter from the U.S.D.V.A. 

  • Question:  I purchased a new home in June and will transfer my 100% DAV exemption from my previous property to my newly acquired property.  Since I will be exempt June thru December, who will be responsible for the taxes on my newly acquired property for January thru May? 

Answer:  If your deed was filed in June and the exemption was granted, the exemption granted will only be applied to the months in which you own the property.   Any balance due will be mailed and due in December.  Note: It is important to discuss the prior months of taxes that will be due with your closing company and/or the seller before closing.      

  • Question:  What are the general qualification for the DAV Exemption? 

Answer: The veteran must be head of household who have been honorably discharged from active service in a branch of the Armed Forces of the United States Department of Affairs or National Guard, and who have been certified to have 100% permanent disability sustained through military action or accident, or resulting from a disease contracted while in active service.  The applicant must have their original certified verification letter from U.S.D.V.A with the embossed seal along with proper ID, such as an Oklahoma Driver’s License for proof of residency. Article 10, § 8E 

  • Question:  Can I file for the 100% disabled veterans exemption if my name is not on the title of the property but I am on the mortgage? 

Answer:  No.  As with any homestead-based exemption, the general statutes governing homestead exemption qualification apply to the one hundred percent disabled veteran’s exemption.   You must be owner of and occupant of the property.  See 68 O.S. §§ 2888, 2889, 2890, 2893 

Please call (405) 713-1235 OR EMAIL if you have any questions or comments
Download the 100% DAV Exemption form here.